Friday, August 10, 2012

Voices of Children

Tuesday, November 23, 2010


On Sunday we listened to the Primary Program. I always look forward to this day, smiling and sometimes laughing softly at the sweet little faces and voices sharing their thoughts on Jesus and the gospel in the simplest, most beautiful ways. The theme this year is, "I Know My Savior Loves Me," which is also the title of a newer primary song I had never heard before.

When the room filled with their precious voices, accompanied by the piano and the ringing of hand-bells throughout the chorus, my heart filled with the spirit. I know I was not the only one crying -- or trying not to sob, more like it.Their sweet, high-pitched voices touched my soul, and I had an image of my little Ty come to mind: as he would be now as a young toddler being held by Christ, laughing and embraced in his arms. I know even as a baby he knew of Christ's love with his pure spirit still not so far from Heaven. I was reminded on Sunday not to underestimate the knowledge and teachings that can come from little children.

(Picture taken from my Greg Olsen calendar. It's the picture from March 2010. I love it so much.)

Last Wednesday, I babysat Adelyn for the afternoon up in Murray. After Emily left, Addie was pretty mellow and calm, her body gearing up for her nap. I pulled out a small framed picture of Ty when he was 5 weeks old and held it out in front of Addie.

"This is baby, Ty. Do you know baby Ty?" I said to her. Addie's little hands grabbed the frame and she pulled it inches away from her face, staring at his picture with sudden intrigue and intensity. Her hand tapped up and down on the glass with energy. "Can you give baby Ty a kiss?" Addie slowly pulled the picture to her mouth, landing an open-mouthed slobber on his face and just held the picture there for a few moments before pulling back and staring at his picture again.

Tears touched my eyes and I held her tightly and kissed her head, feeling with such certainty that even at 8 months, she knew what I was saying, and she did indeed recognize and know Ty. She played with the frame for some time, and as I watched her behave as a baby does, I wondered off and on if I had just imagined it. But no -- I could not just create that sure feeling of the Spirit, even as momentary as it was. It is these small testimonies that I hold close to my heart that give me so much strength and comfort as I remember that families are forever, and Jesus loves our little ones.


"I Know My Savior Loves Me"
by Tami Jeppson Creamer & Derena Bell

(Verse 1)
A long time ago in a beautiful place,
children were gathered ‘round Jesus
He blessed and taught as they felt of His love.
Each saw the tears on His face.

The love that He felt for His little ones
I know He feels for me.
I did not touch Him or sit on his knee,
Yet Jesus is real to me.

(Verse 2)

Now I am here in a beautiful place,
Learning the teachings of Jesus.
Parents and teachers will help guide the way,
Lighting my path ev’ry day.

Wrapped in the arms of my Savior’s love,
I feel His gentle touch.
Living each day, I will follow His way,
Home to my Father above.

Chorus:

I know he lives!
I will follow faithfully.
My heart I give to Him.
I know that my Savior loves me!

No comments:

Post a Comment