Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Speaking of Faith . . .

Tuesday, June 29, 2010


I can't go to sleep until I write this down. I don't want to forget.

Tonight Dan and I read scriptures together, something we have been trying to be better at. We continued where we left off and read Ether Chapter 11 from The Book of Mormon. I was a little bored tonight and my eyes dry and tired from crying in contacts... but half-way through the chapter, I thought, "It's good we're getting back in the habit of reading, so if the Lord does need to give us a message, we'll be more likely to receive it."

Still, I was ready to be done with our one chapter tonight. Dan saw the upcoming chapter and encouraged us to read it. I agreed, even though to be honest, I was not really in the mood.

Dan read the first five verses, so naturally, I read the next five, switching off as we tend to do. I believe with all my heart it was intended that I speak the following words aloud:

6 And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.

7 For it was by faith that Christ showed himself unto our fathers, after he had risen from the dead; and he showed not himself unto them until after they had faith in him; wherefore, it must needs be that some had faith in him, for he showed himself not unto the world.

8 But because of the faith of men he has shown himself unto the world, and glorified the name of the Father, and prepared a way that thereby others might be partakers of the heavenly gift, that they might hope for those things which they have not seen.

9 Wherefore, ye may also have hope, and be partakers of the gift, if ye will but have faith.

It was so humbling to hear myself say these words. I was just thinking and journaling today about my wavering faith today and how I need to strengthen it. I'm so grateful for Dan's prompting for us to read further. I know we both needed to hear those words and discuss them together. The chapter is so full and amazing!

Sometimes I don't understand why we need certain trials, or wonder why a trial needs to be as long as it is... But the Lord has a plan for each of us. It is purposeful and intentional and somehow all for our good, even if we can't see the big picture amidst our trial.

Today I am reminded of the importance of regular scripture reading. It is just one more way the Lord can answer our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment