Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Emotionally Hiding Out

Friday, March 19, 2010

Dan and I had a good talk last night that has me still thinking... I was starting to feel a small push of anger yesterday, despite my belief that its pursuit after me was still underway - that there was still time. But the widened distance between me and that emotion is diminishing, and it scares me.

Dan has been feeling more down the last few days, especially with returning to school. And he's not one to hide how he's feeling. And I found myself...mad. Just a little bit, but it was there. When Dan confronted me on it, I think I described it best when I said, "I have a hard time being sad when you're sad because we've been 'taking shifts'. And when you're having prolonged sadness, I don't know what to do with my emotions." I think I feel mad because when he's sad, it reminds me that -despite all the fun distraction I've had with my family, with my new hair-cut, scalp treatment, pedicure...I'm sad, too. And I don't want to feel it. If I can suppress it, maybe it's not really there.

Dan wants us to consider counseling. My first thoughts were, "You need it. Not me." Because I don't want to go there. They'll make me talk and then I'll have to go down that path of emotions I don't want to go. They'll make me feel again - feel the anguish that we all ready felt last week and that I had tucked away behind the peace I felt from God. And I don't think I can take it.

But as someone who's done therapy with teenagers, I should know better. I do know better. And I know I will probably go to counseling. Because despite this "numbness" feeling safe... I think I'm going to crash.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment